Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thursday 14 August 2008: Sarah has a big secret to share with you... and she's not ashamed!!!!! Well, a little, maybe....

Sarah says:
Last night - even at age 37 - I got to have a sleep-over at a girlfriend's house!!! That's something I truly miss about being a kid / teen-ager / unmarried person! When I was young and free I could sleep at friends' homes and they at mine! At those moments you could have the greatest talks and moments in the world. You could watch TV together. Eat snacks. Smoke dope and laugh all night and get the munchies. Get drunk and be dumb and feel sick the next day but sleep in and not have a worry!

So last night, I didn't get high or drunk or dumb. But I sure did have fun! My kid was away at her own little sleep-over (the lucky girl!) and my husband let me fly the coop for the night. I went out to eat with my friend CC who is in from Russia for a few weeks and then we went back to her house. Her teenage daughter set me up on Facebook (as if I need that in my already too busy computer-driven life!!!!). CC was right by my side doing Sudoku. We stayed up until around 2am! I never stay up that late anymore! We talked and laughed and also just went into our own worlds. This morning we had breakfast together at the crack of dawn and I headed to work. I had so much fun! I wish life allowed more such simple pleasures. I love being married and being a mom but I also love just hanging out with my girlfriends with nobody needing me and with no responsibility! I can't wait till I'm an old bat and I can go on long vacations with my girlfriends! That sound like a dream to me! When duty no longer calls and binds as much and some more freedom comes back into life's equation!

So - my dirty little secret, I bet you want to know. CC laughed and laughed at me! But I'm not ashamed! I sleep with a "blanky" of sorts - have for as long as I can remember. It's not the same one all the time or anything like when you are a kid. It's actually just a big double bed sheet. Any colour will do but should be a light cotton if possible! I use it to put over my eyes when it is too bright. I use it to prop up my head when my pillow has a day off. I use it to cover my ears when my husband is snoring. I use it to support my leg if my back hurts. I use it to guard me from mosquitoes when they are buzzing around. I use it to cover my under neck area because I always need something to cover there or I can't sleep. Sometimes I use it for all those things all at the same time! It's quite amazing what I can do with my blanky. I even take it with me when I go on vacation, on a trip for work and to random sleepovers like the one last night! So laugh all you want but I am not ashamed of my lovely blanky. Incidentally, my daughter has exactly the same habit but she depends on one blanky because the colour and exact feel is important to her. I grew out of being that picky or specific. Hell - if I forget my blanky, I have been known to find whatever I can to act as a blanky because I really can't sleep without it! I have used hotel towels, clothes, magazines once. I didn't mention this above but a blanky is also a really good drool catcher! Yeah - yeah - I know that sounds nasty but it's not as if you, my dear reader, don't drool! We all do! At least my pillows and bed stays clean and my blanky does all the dirty work!

I'd have to say that the strangest thing about my blankies is that I have about three I like the most and I actually stole all three from my father and step-mother when I moved to Belgium. For some reason I was attached to those sheets that I had always seen in the linen closet outside my room in the house I grew up in. I just took them. I took so few things with me when I moved to Belgium - and those sheets made the cut and have meant the world of sleep to me since! (sorry dad and Barbara for stealing the sheets! You can see one of them in above photo. I also have one with red flowers and one with blue and red motives!)

So now you know! I have no more secrets. That was the last one. I could stop this blog today and be satisfied with nothing left to hide!!! But I won't...

No comments: