Sunday, July 20, 2008

Saturday 19 July 2008: Goodbye Erika, Neil, Oscar, Coco-Rosie, Cato, Cookie and Cleo the pigs...And aren't genetics odd???!!!

Sarah says:
Man I hate saying goodbye! Just when you get all comfy and catch up and have some good laughs and some good looks into the past and towards the future, BANG! Time's up! It would be nice if good feelings could last just a bit longer sometimes! BUT - we had the time we had and that was treasured and good. So now It's until next time! This is really the painful part of living so far away from close friends and family. You get this lump of sadness and almost dread in you heart and head the moment they are gone again after seeing them. I walk around in a rainy cloud for a few days - feeling slightly numb and shattered I guess. Great to see Erika, Neil and Oscar. Felt like home...

Now here's where genetics get weird! Look above at the photo of me, Neil and Oscar. We look like a family! Oscar has my coloring. I could be his mom!

And look below! My daughter has Erika's coloring! She could be her mother. Nobody would ever know! My daughter has Erika's light skin, light eyes, light hair. Oscar has got my dark eyes, slightly darker skin and all that... Why did our babies get the colorinf of our husbands?! It's just one of those things that can drive a mom crazy for a second. Most of my friends here in Belgium look more like my kid's mother than I do! It's kind of strange and funny.
And alas - it's time to say goodbye to the guniea pig babies tonight. They will be going to the same home as their brother from the last birth (Krik-Krak) went. They will go along with the new babaies from the other furry pigs from before too. It's really sad to see them go. They are terribly cute and sweat and their mom is just sitting in her cage all alone now. Who knows what her instincts are telling her. One day 4 babies and the next day they are gone. There's something truly awful about that. But we had to do this. Today we will reunite the mom and dad (sister and brother) again and hope they don't fight as much as the last time. We know that the mom is not pregnant this time (as she was last time already) - so we can only hope that will somehow make a difference.

No comments: