Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sunday 29 March 2009: Sarah has a new friend called Flat Henry hanging out with her for a while and her kid gets up to no good while daddy sleeps...

Sarah says:
Meet Flat Henry. He's my little paper buddy. He's my friend Rachel's son. He'll be in Belgium with us for a while. We want to take a photo of him in interesting places. Maybe you can take Flat Henry with you somewhere and take a photo and send it to me. Going anywhere interesting in Belgium in the next week or so? Let me know. Want your photo with Flat Henry? Let me know. This is for a school project. Flat Henry has to get back to The States by end of April. He's like a part of our family now. Today we took him on a walk with us. He also hung out in the guinea pig cage for a bit but the pigs refused to come out of hiding to meet him. He slid through our mailbox. He wore an abandoned helmet. He went on a see-saw. Flat Henry is having the time of his life over here in Belgium!

My kid seemed to also be having the time of her life when I caught her putting make-up on her dad who had fallen asleep reading!!! He can sleep through anything! :-) I think she needs to find better colors for him. He's more of a Spring I think and she's using Summer colors!
There above is a photo from our full house last night! Lots of kids. Lots of fun. I love how our house can hold so many people with all its weird twists and floors and all. It really lives and gets used. I hope we never have to leave this house. Sometimes I worry we'll have to. We have to get about 20 new windows in double glass and a new front door. That is a very scary financial prospect in these difficult economic times. But we have to stop throwing away energy and having such high energy bills! And without new windows, we'd never even be able to sell the house if we had to. So you will be hearing a lot about windows on ere for the next year I'm afraid! It is a big focus of ours. It scares me but I can't wait until we have new ones and we have a winter without the heat blasting so high all the time and the cold air blowing through the glass!
And last but not least, I have to say I truly agree with this Post Secret pick of the week. People do not always look better so much skinnier. I often wonder how I would look if I lost the 40 or so pounds I probably should lose to be a healthy weight for my height and all. I wonder if I will ever find out. I know for sure I look better when I have less bloat and fewer double chins and am a bit thinner in the middle. I have put on some puffiness in the last months and am closer and closer to perhaps doing something about it like cutting this or that out or just getting off my arse and moving more - walking briskly is what I would love to be able to do after work every day - if only I could get my kid to join me. Anyway - in the postcard below, the woman does look better fatter if you ask me. I'll just be happy if I get one size smaller. Since I was about 14 I have always been between a size 44 and 46 (14 and 16) and have never, ever been able to get down to a 42 (12). When I was younger I think I even reached size 48 /50 (18+) as I did in the fattest part of my pregnancy. I feel good at size 44 (14) - so if I can get there again, at least for a while, think I'll feel a bit better about myself. I just have to figure out the best way for myself to do that. Spring and summer always help and then fall / winter I put the weight back on... It's just now that I am getting nearer to age 40 I have to worry more about the health issues that can result from being overweight and all that. If a doctor said to me : you MUST lose weight - I am pretty sure I could and would - like before my back operation. But I'd be smarter to tell myself: you MUST lose weight. What stops me I wonder? For me to explore and figure out - as I (and millions of other women out there) have been trying to do for ages and ages....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you start viewing weight as a health issue instead of an appearance issue, you might not be so resentful about the idea of having to lose weight to meet some societal expectation. If you don't resent having to lose weight, you might not see it as such a cruel fight, and you might have an easier time doing it. The after photo of that woman looks way healtier than the before. Forget if she looks "hotter," she looks like she'll live a lot longer and with fewer health problems! Isn't that something we should all want?

Heidi and Sarah Face The Day said...

Hell yeah! But that's what I mean - I know if a doctor says to me - you HAVE TO lose weight then I will do it because I want to live long and I want to be healthy. But for 1000 reasons even if I say the same thing to myself I just can't get there - and believe me - I have try and still try - at least with food and eating habits (for the most part). What's missing from my life is movement. For some reason - I just don't get over that and to that or through that. I wish I were rich and could hire a personal trainer. I just don't have it in me to go at it alone and I always fear for my back. So that's where I am at and where I stay at a lot. I'm not sure I agree that the thinner woman looks like she'll live a lot longer. I don't always associate overweight people with unhealthiness. In fact, too skinny or even skinny isn't always a good indication of good health. But I'm not a doctor so I can't say. I'm not even sure doctors can say as studies about this sort of thing vary all the time... In any event, I DO want to be healthy and I WOULD LOVE to be skinnier for sure. I hope that one size less would at least mean a bit healthier because I think that's all I have in me to get to...if even...

Anonymous said...

Noah - I disagree. I think she looks unhealthy in both photos, especially the after. Her true healthy weight is likely somewhere in the middle, probably around 120-130 mark.

Sarah I love the photo of your kitchen. Who are all the people hanging from the ceiling? They've got great pants.

And that photo of Ayla doing Tom up is priceless. Truly. I love it.

xoxo
ASG

Heidi and Sarah Face The Day said...

Doing Tom up? WHOA! :-)I was hoping someone would notice all those hanging people!!! That's our dirty little secret!