Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thursday 22 March 2007: Still no Heidi as Sarah tries to look cheery even though she is weary and even leery or is it wary?

Sarah says:
Oh C'mon and just admit it! You have as much trouble with weary, leery and wary as I do. You mix them all up too. You Dutch speakers reading this especially because the English language is crazy!

Today I am seeing what it will feel like to sit at a computer all day as I have a bunch of stuff to do on the PC and return to work in a week and want to know if my body can take 8 hours of this. So far, so good. Strangely, I seem to only get that side-pain when I drive and when I stand for too long. I really wonder why that is. I'll have to ask the doctor when I see him. I don't want to have to deal with that discomfort every time I am in a car. It happens at short and long distances. I don't get it! The physio-therapist says it's probably because my spine position altered from the new disc being placed in it. He pressed on a the middle area of my spine and man did that hurt - and then he traced his finger along a line down my side. It was the exact line that hurts. So the pain appears to come from where he pressed. But how to fix that! He couldn't say. Man I can't wait to get stronger. As of June I can hopefully begin some fitness. Right now it's just walking and getting spine massages - which isn't exactly exerting myself, is it!

So Belgium is all happy because yesterday there was a mass wedding against racism in Sint Niklaas, which you can read about here and probably in your own newspapers as it became an international story - with the fact that CNN and Al Jazeera were there to cover it being big news here in itself.

Oh Belgium feels so very small with this in mind. It's so odd. Three couples refused to let a black alderman perform their wedding ceremony a while back here. It's great that this became a news story and that people took a stand against such stupidity. I guess it's a good thing that this mass symbolic wedding happened here yesterday but something doesn't feel right at all about this.

In America, the big discussion is always about Gay Marriage being wrong - according to Bush and his religious-right supporters who pay him a lot to take this stand. Here in Belgium and in several places in Europe, Gay Marriage is legal and accepted.

Yet here in Belgium there has to be a media-grabbing mass wedding against racism because racism is rampant in this country.

It's just so bizarre. I don't get it. I really don't. I seriously do not understand why anyone gives a flying fuc* if someone is gay or black or white or a Jew or a Muslim, cross-dresser, transvestite, whatever. WE ARE ALL THE FREAKING SAME EVEN WHEN WE ARE DIFFERENT!!!!! I am so naive I guess but it shocks me every time. People are so damn ignorant. It could all be so much simpler if we were all just a little more tolerant. I have no solutions and I guess it's good that such stands are made against such stupidities but I don't know - I just think it's almost pathetic that there has to be such a demonstration in the first place. You also have Elton John telling people to stand up to bigots today in the news. This is all good and necessary but it just annoys the hell out of me. Why anyone wastes time on hate and bigotry - I don't know! And how to solve all that? I don't know!

Now subjects like this one are far more interesting to spend one's time worrying about! While some people are being bigots and racists, others are trying to figure out what to do with a 1000 pound squid!

Oh screw it all! Just listen to the new Absynthe Minded album "There is Nothing" via this link. Great stuff. Great Belgian band.

Speaking of music - Monday I meet up with possible new band in Gent! Can't wait! Finally back in the mood.

And that's all I have to say today. I may be smiling in the above photo but for some reason I am pissed off today. Maybe because I am stuck at my computer!!! Maybe it's because my feet are cold - which reminds me that I wanted to mention that my feet have shrunk since I got my back operation. I know that sounds crazy but they are not as wide as they were and my normal shoes all feel too big now. So not only did I get taller, my feet got smaller. How weird is that!

Oh - and last thingy - you know how when I am not complaining about chin hair and being too fat (in my quest for being the most vain person out there) I am going on about my formerly perfect teeth that have gone yellow (another lovely part of aging and living in Belgium) - well, I have been trying out using some hydrogen peroxide gargle each day and I think it is working slowly but surely - hopefully without stripping all the enamel off my teeth. Go try it yourselves!

No comments: