Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Saturday 26 - Tuesday 30 January: Sarah's Time in Cannes...

Sarah says:
Here's a photo summary of what I have been up to for the last days in Cannes. First and foremost, I was there to work of course, and work hard I did. It was all good! Lunchtime and evenings, however, were a mix of work and play. Lunch was generally about a good meal on the beach in the sun. Evenings were about a fun time out with my French co-worker BG. You can see in the below pictures how our evenings in a row evolved. Our last evening there was such great fun! We ended up on a boat. I made a new friend from South Africa who I will call George Clooney's brother here. So here goes...a lot of pics...many not included. As the saying goes, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy... Work is play. Play is work. After all, isn't it? At least sometmes. At least in this setting... I am so tired I'm about to collapse and my voice is nearly gone but I can't wait to see what comes of all the meetings I had. I know what has come from the evenings I had - especially last night's. A headache. A dry mouth. A very tired girl...

The view from the plane...
Getting close to Nice...
Nice looks nice from above!
After hitting the town for great pizza and several drinks, I was feeling giddy back at my hotel room in Cannes. I don't drink very often anymore and when I do, just a little. I had a tad more than a little and it had me all jolly just before I hit the sack like a sack of potatoes...

That's my co-worker GB above putting on a grin for Face The Day. He's a good sport, that one. I had many a good meal with him in Cannes. I think we ate a lot actually. We started with greasy pizza Saturday night and finished with burgers and fries at the airport Wednesday and had a bunch of steaks and fish in between... The photo above was on Sunday I think but I don't know anymore. Maybe Monday actually... Midem is really one big whirlwind of a blur. The days go by filled with appointments and who knows which day you talked to whom and all that. You come home with 8000 business cards and then the real work begins. Follow-up...
And there above you can see what was right next to us each day at lunch. We went to the same beach restaurant 3 days in a row and I went to the same pizza place three times too. Why mess with a good thing!
There above you have BG, my co-worker from the Paris office. He's a good one! We hung out a lot in Cannes. Above you see us on the second evening I think - so Sunday, maybe Monday. I have no idea.
And there we are again smiling this time... And there we are again but on the last night - Tuesday... See, we went from bad to worse... But oh how fun Tuesday night was! It was nuts really... More on that below...
And I think that's me after a long evening Sunday night. We stopped by a Belgian company party on the beach and drank bad champagne...but heard great Belgian music blasting. I entered the party and GOOSE was playing loudly. Fabulous. I felt Belgian pride! But then it was time to sleep...
The above photo is on a boat on Tuesday night. We were invited to a cocktail hour to see a singer perform a few songs and to have some drinks and snacks and a few chats with people in the business and all. It's often at these sorts of evening events that business keeps happening. That's the whole idea really. We all have something to sell, don't we? The singer had herself to sell and there was something sort of sad and weird about the whole thing... Anyway - That's me above trying to make you see I am on a boat...
There above and also below is my new friend RM from South Africa. He was a trip! We hit it off on the boat and had a million laughs from start to finish. That may have had to do with the free champagne and beer - but this guy, who looked a little like George Clooney's brother if he had one - (okay - maybe not in the photo but he did in person sort of a little) - he was a blast. We clicked and rode with it and laughed and laughed and laughed - sometimes like two old ladies with lung trouble or smoker's cough -- hardly able to breath and with a bit of a metal, ashy sound. You know what I mean. That deep down kind of laugh. We each drank a bit from a big beer glass you can see below and all of a sudden it was as if the drink had been spiked. It hadn't. But that was the theory we came up with because from that point on - in our heads anyway - we were on a Romanian mafia ship of decadence. Everybody was suspicious - in a hilarious way of course. Nothing but fun! Below you can see the boat we were on. We kept asking ourselves - where are we and how did we get here? Very surreal indeed....
And last, but certainly not least, you can see me being a lush below drinking out of the trippy big glass of beer that set me and RM off on a laughing spree. In all honesty - the photo below was just a photo op. I am not the drunk I appear to be, though I was drunker than usual Tuesday night and loving every minute of it. But mostly Cannes was about hard work. And mostly, I try not to mention work too often on here. So you only get to see the fun stuff!

No comments: