Saturday, June 30, 2007

Friday 29 June 2007: Sarah finally get her Covent Garden / Neil's Yard haircut and has a hell of a day...


Sarah says:
Because of the bomb scare in London the trains were all off plan and this made it hard to get around and to get where I had to go. Everything was busier than usual and that's no fun when you are carrying suitcases and bags and stuff. So I had a bit of a distance to travel so I checked my suitcase in at Waterloo and went on my merry way to where I had to be. Easier said than done! Man oh man they had us running about. They told me to get this train to this place. I get on it, it stops soon after, thy say it will no longer go to the place so to get off. A bunch of us get off and try to find out where we can get a train to our destination and they tell us track 4 - that one will be there in a few minutes. So we all run, run, run down and up stairs and through walkways and as we get on the track the freaking train pulls away! It didn't even wait for us. Anyway, I'm all worn out because I have a heavy back-pack, I'm dressed way too warmly and my clothes are wet because it had rained so hard and so suddenly when I boarded my first train that morning and I haven't run like that since before my back operation. To top it off, just at that very second my freaking period comes - in a major way and I am unprepared!! So the train people tell us to get on the next train and switch at this stop and get that train there to that train there. Time is a ticking. I'm late. I'm wet. I'm sweaty. I'm bloody! It sucks!!! And then the sun starts beaming all of a sudden and because it rained it's like an oven effect and I'm feeling like I will faint at any second. Seriously. It sucked!!! But then it was okay and then my day was over with an hour to spare before I caught my Eurostar back. So what did I do? I finally got my haircut in Neil's Yard in Covent Garden! I saw this small edgy hair salon there probably 13 years ago for the first time and since then have always wanted to get my haircut there. It's called Hair By Fairy. I arrived and it was so busy I thought okay, nice dream. But the guy said I could have an appointment in 10 minutes! I was so pleased. A long-haired Italian guy with lots of piercings chopped up and thinned out my hair and I love it! It's perfect for the summer. Shorter than ever. Easy to make wild or proper. So that made my evening! Needless to say, when I arrived home I fell into my bed and was asleep immediately. I love travelling and don't even mind a late train every now and then - but the combo of heavy bags, the wrong clothes, changing temperatures, screwed up trains, running like a mofo and getting my period was a bit too much for a 15 minute span of time. So for the moment, I am glad to be home again!! You can just see in my eyes and face in the above photo how tired, raggy and crampy I was on the train back...

No comments: