Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Wednesday 18 April 2007: Olijf is born!!!


Heidi says: OLIJF IS BORN YESTERDAY! She is the daughter of my good good friends Barbara and Karel! I am so proud of them! LONG LIVE OLIJF!!!! (Olive in English)
That's all folks! But I can't bring you better news than this anyway!
Sarah says:
So you want to know how I did on my Dutch exam, do ya? Well, it was no exam!!!! GRRRRR! He went around the room and asked us what the simple past and past participle of the irregular verbs was. I think I answered on about 5 verbs – all correct except I pronounced “dronk” more like “drank” – but oh well. I was seriously hoping for a big test with sentences and all that to be written! I feel cheated! So my new plan is while I have all these verbs fresh in my dumb head is that I will make my own exam for myself and I will take it and I will grade it. I know what you are thinking – that’s cheating! Nope – it’s not so easy to cheat on this kind of test. Basically, I will make a list of all of the infinitives of all of the irregular verbs – out of order to mess with my mind a bit. Then I will require myself to make a question and an answer for each in the simple past and using the past participle. With the simple past, I’ll require myself to write two questions and answers actually – one in the singular and one in the plural. I will give myself a time limit. I will not allow myself to talk or look at my notes during my test. I will grade my own test and believe me, I won’t do myself any favors! I will give the results to myself when they are ready. I will let you know what grade I give myself. I will dress like and talk like a teacher when administering myself the test. And I will dress like and act like a student when I am taking the test. Welcome to my Dutch-irregular-verb-past-tense-exam-FANTASY! I will pass this test with flying colors. You will all be so proud. You’ll say: “Finally! After more than 12 freaking years of living in Belgium she finally knows her irregular past tense!” I’ll celebrate my wonderful results by buying myself some new clothes! I’ll walk and talk proudly! You’ll all be so impressed. And the, sadly, I’ll wake up – as dumb as ever!!!! As I told ASG yesterday, I am a bad, bad student. I can no longer retain any information. All I retain these days is water I’m afraid! Boo Hoo!

Check out our dresses again! I even have long boots on today. I am transformed! Ever since my back operation, I can wear nice clothes again – dresses! Be feminine! Not limp around in pain and comfortable clothes. I want to wear a dress everyday now! Oh life is grand with a good back and no pain! I am loving it! I am the luckiest girl in the world!

No comments: