Monday, March 19, 2007

Monday 19 March 2007: No Heidi today as she starts her countdown and as Sarah suffers from major cramping of her rotting intestines...

Sarah says:
Oh help me Lord. I was up half the night with belly cramps. Kind of like dry heaving of the inner body. Was it something I ate? A stomach flu going around? I have no idea - but it's still here, coming and going. I think it's going to be another rough night! I had a lovely day though with a friend in Gent so I can't complain.

I want to complain to Belgian TV channels Een and Canvas though. They scheduled the first episode of the new Woestijnvis show 0032 at the same time as the new show LUX xl. Luckily LUX xl was only 5 minutes so that I could see a lot of 0032 but still! What were they thinking! 0032 is on right now and is focusing on a woman from Ukraine living in Belgium. It's a show about 11 different foreigners living here in Belgium. So far it seems very interesting with a lot of experiences to relate to. Strangely, from the first scenes with the woman Larisa and the Belgians she has contact with - the divisions are evident. The Belgian women around her seem so stiff and cold and safe. It's hard to explain - but you clearly see the different worlds right there in her living room. The woman speaks of how Belgians were unfriendly at first - afraid of anything foreign. I am curious to see what the "message" that comes out of this program will be. I hope to get to watch it each week. As an American here - a whitey, a real Westerner - I am a different kind of foreigner of course, much more accepted - much more understood. It's really annoying sometimes. I hope the show does get across that though we are all different, we are really all the same - and there's nothing to be afraid of! I wish Belgians were less afraid. I really do. Generalizing - I know - but in a big way true. There is a story behind every person. It's so obvious of course.
This program is already making me look forward to my Dutch class tomorrow. There are people from 11 nationalities in the class. All of us in the same boat really though sailing in various directions. All of us trying so hard to fit in to this place and losing little bits of ourselves therefore - and gaining a lot along the way too of course - but it can be really hard to be a foreigner - really, really hard - trust me, even I, the white, western American, know.

As for the show LUX xl, it was a fast 5 minutes but who can complain when it's Tom Van Dyck talking about Bosch! I can't wait to see more! But I still think it's too bad that it's on on Mondays at the same time as 0032!

Jeez these images on 0032 of Chernobyl are terribly moving and disturbing.

Good program. I wasn't sure it would be because it could easily fall into a stereotype but so far so good. I was waiting patiently for a new Woestijnvis program and this may be it I am happy to say. I hope there will be a great new comedy show like In De Gloria or Het Eiland eventually but for now, Woestijnvis has done it again - quality programs, quality writing - more power to them. Woestijnvis is one of my favorite things about Belgium!

Now back to my intestines. Oh my oh my how they are cramping. This is going on for too long. It's going to be a hard night again and man do I need a good sleep more than anything else.

Good night -- and wish me good luck.

No comments: