Sunday, August 24, 2008

Saturday 23 August 2008: Sarah thinks the Brussels Bozar "It's Not Only Rock & Roll is NOT Rock & Roll at all and the Royal Palace NEEDS saving lamps!


Sarah says:
We went to Brussels on the train with our kid and with friend Steven and Tilly and their three kids with the plan to visit the exhibit at the Bozar: It's Not Only Rock & Roll. I'm sorry to say because I was really hoping to like it - especially because a lot of artists displaying happen to be musicians I like very much - musicwaise anyway - but it was a bunch of crap if you ask me and my husband and Steven and Tilly! Not all of it was crap. For example, there were some striking works from a member of Sigur Ros, Das Pop, The Kills, David Bryne and I didn't hate the Devendra Banhart stuff though I didn't love it either. I don't know - it was just sort of the feeling of: don't quit your day jobs folks! Where as I really love some of the music of a lot of the "artists", the artwork is something else entirely I'm afraid. It just seemed to take up a lot of space while not giving out any sort of meaning. Taste is taste and I'm sure others would disagree with us and would love the stuff. But it just left me feeling like it was all a bunch of hype with no spine.

Before that, we stumbled upon an unusually open-to-the-public Brussels Royal Palace. We walked through a bunch of overly-decorated and decadent rooms - meeting and sitting rooms mostly, and more than anything else could only take notice of all the burning lamps and large single-glass windows. At the end of the tour there was an area about making the earth a better place. It just didn't add up! The Royal Palace could start by replacing all those bulbs, by which I mean thousands and thousands all burning at the same time, with saving lamps or just shut them off! And then they could put some double glass in all those windows. After that, they are welcome to lecture the public and the Belgian tax-payers about how to save the world. In the meantime, they should start practicing what they preach!

Despite the above negatives, we had a great time at the palace and at the Bozar and in Brussels in general. It was a lovely day which ended with a tasty meal of leek and pumpkin pasta at Steven and Tilly's. These sort of day trips are so fun!

No comments: