Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Day six, seven - who knows anymore -- of Sarah's vacation in France...

One rainy day we went to some thermal baths nearby - there are many in that region. We didn't get any photos - but it was great fun! One of the best moments that we all enjoyed. It wasn't cheap - but it was worth it. There were all these different pool areas in a grand building. One area had like a waterfall rush of water you could stand under and get pummeled by water. That was my favorite part for sure! Next to that there were heavily bubbled baths/whirlpools. My daughter's favorite was the music pool in which underwater you could hear relaxing music. She also love the mint tea they gave for free at the hammam area. It was terribly relaxing! Loved it. After that, we headed to a castle high up on a hill. We took some fun medieval torture photos there and watched a fire-throwing-knife-tossing performer.
I was busy looking at the fake Knights in the castle and noticed that one was wearing gloves from today - not from 600 or so years ago! I looked closer and closer at the gloves and was about to touch them when all of a sudden the fake Knight moved its head! It scared me and I gasped! My husband and daughter enjoyed that! It freaked me out! I had been had!!! I'm just glad I hadn't grabbed the fake Knight's private area!
The next day we went to Albi - a great, great place with an amazing cathedral that is totally worth the visit - just for it alone even. I have never seen a church like this in my life and boy have I seen a lot of churches. It was 100% facinating - architectually and historically. We went to Albi to see the Toulouse-Lautrec Museum but the cathedral was the real draw in the end! The cathedral is like a huge fortess you can see from all directions. It looks far more military than church-like from the outside. It's bombastic to say the least - in outer structure. Simple but HUGE - the pillars holding it all up look like fa elephant legs from afar. The place just seems endless. It looks like a place to fear. A prison. A grand train station in Europe. That's until you get to the door - which is overly decorated and in total contrast with the rest of the outer structure. The inside is overwhelming! Just totally over the top with every style from every era in every corner from top to bottom. It's really necessary to rent a headset and go through the whole church listening to ever detail described. I was in awe really. I had no doubt in my mind why people feared God and Hell. If there's anyplace I have ever been that forced that point - well it's surely this cathedral in Albi. It's just decadent and crazy really. It was here that I saw the crazy detailed painting of the Last Judgement. That painting alone could be responsible for millions and millions of people converting to and believing (being forced to believe) in God!
Above you can see me in awe of it all. Below a dark shot of the Last Judgement in the Albi Cathederal though the link above will bring you to a much clearer shot I found on the net.

No comments: