Friday, July 13, 2007

FRIDAY THE 13TH!!!! of July: Heidi and Sarah look a bit greasy, shiny and silly today and Sarah goes to Brugge again! And welcome Hawai's Hans Corne!

Sarah says:

Lots of photos today I'm afraid. Above you can see me and Heidi looking smiley and sweaty. The day started chilly and rainy but turned hot and toasty later on. Below you can see Heidi and me with my brother SDM. Notice Yma's hand made it into the photo as well. Doesn't Heidi look a bit nuts today. Everything all right Heiditje?!
Below you can see my and my brother's shadows. He looks like a giant and I look like a fat dwarf... But do notice how sunny it is. We took that photo in Brugge. Yes - I went to Brugge yet again!!!! I enjoyed it because it was sunny today. I pretty much always enjoy Brugge and Gent so I can't complain but I am getting kind of sick of seeing the same things. Twice in a week is a bit too much really. If I were just going to these cities to shop or hang out, that would be one thing -- but it's the showing these same places over and over again to people -- in a way I enjoy that and in another way it gets kind of boring! Oh well. It was nice to be out in the sun and I ate some really great soup and walked a lot! Can't complain.



Can anyone tell me what sort of bird that is in the photo below? It was huge and pretty in a tree on the water in Brugge. It was just chilling out there. What is it? It's legs aren't long enough to be a Blue Heron. Its beak isn't long enough to be a Pelican. Anyone know? Heidi? I'm sure you know. Do tell! I want that one...


And last but not least, below you see Face The Day special guest Kortrijk band Hawai's bass player Hans Corne. I saw Hans tonight at a lovely BBQ and had to take his photo. These days Hans plays in Hawai. He also played bass in Two Russian Cowboys. A long, long time ago he also played in the band Ego with Greyn's former guitar-player Peter Dewilde. I think Ego was one of the first bands I saw play in Belgium. When the old Greyn band lineup, which was maybe still called Horus, was looking for a new bass player a very long time ago, Hans also came to chat with us but didn't choose us! Luckily not because he found Hawai and Hawai are great! I really like their newest CD. You can hear some tracks from it via this link. You can see Hawai perform in Rekkem tomorrow night the 14th of July at Kotweekend for Euro 6 at 18u. Right after that you can see another fine Kortrijk band Hitch. I suppose Hitch will start at around 20u or something. By the way, Greyn played their worst gig ever in Rekkem two years ago at Kotweekend. I think we even got booooooed! We played well that night but the audience was there to see The Van Jets whose place we had to take at the lsat minute because they had to play our early spot as they had another gig to get to. There we were, this little band that nobody knew. It sucked. But it was also sort of fun really...

Anyway, thanks Hans Corne for being a Face The Day Guest today... Here's a Face The Day Secret: Heidi and I always enjoy watching Hans Corne on stage playing bass. We have discussed the fact that he looks pretty sexy up there on stage several times.... Go see for yourselves!

Oh - one last thing - while in Brugge today we stumbled upon a wedding at the city hall. It turned out to be a wedding of two women - lesbians. It was kind of funny to be standing next to some other Americans watching it and over-hearing them realize it was a lesbian wedding. Belgium was one of the first countries to make same-sex marriage legal. I'm happy and proud of that. It should be legal if you ask me. Everyone has the right to be happy. But a lot of people do not agree with that and the people I was standing next to today in Brugge were certainly people who did not approve of gay marriage at all. I am glad they were confronted with it. If they could just look beyond the fact that there were two women standing there just married and see that there were two people in love standing there just married - maybe they would open their eyes. But maybe not as well. It seemed perfectly normal to me. But I guess that's because I live here now where it is legal and not very talked about anymore as opposed to in America where it remains a hot and difficult topic...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

-
-
-
-
-
Was Brugge less medieval in the sun?

Anonymous said...

First - that is a heron. Maybe not a great blue but a heron indeed. Holland is FULL of them. They are so tame it's weird and live so near the motorways but seem happy nonetheless.

2ndly, great shot of your brothers hump in the shadow photo. It really came out well. I was a bit dissapointedly really that you didn't get a shot of his hump in the tower in Ghent. That'd have been cool.

3rdly - the option to sign this from aimee has dissapeared. Must only be available when I'm signed into my goog account, which I can't be bothered doing. Anyway, you know it is me now.

Good night.

Heidi and Sarah Face The Day said...

No cleavage or cleaage comment today ASG? I thought you'd surely notice. I did it all for you baby! I want a pet Heron. Hook me up!

Anonymous said...

Dear Face the Day-ers,

Great photos. I think that bird is a Magpie, unless I am not seeing a long neck. It's in the same family as Australia's famous laughing Kookaburra if it is a Magpie.
Yma is so adorable and big.
Sam looks like he belongs in the tower of a medieval castle.
Sarah, I am sorry about your leg. Has that pain gone away now? If not, I will have to come and massage the leg.
That fish looks suspiciously like the fish I cooked while there. Have you a new recipe or is it based on mine? If new -- or improved, let me know how you cook it. Thanks.
Sam, how do you like what you are experiencing and seeing so far?
Ayla, make sure you hear the phone message I left about a baby named Ayla because of you.
I look at all those photos and wish I'd won the lottery and could move to Belgium, though I am very excited about my move to Michigan and the work I will do there and a possible house I will buy (I'll be looking on Friday the 20th and make an offer if I find one I like). But I miss you all so much. And I miss Europe.
LUV YA ALL DEARLY! Keep facing the day! -- Mom

rebecca said...

Greasy, shiny, silly...and HOT!!!