Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Tuesday 22 May 2007: What are these faces saying? And check out Sarah's first letter in English (if you call that English) from her daughter...

Heidi says:
I have a mega cold! My nose is stuffed up. So are the noses of the rest of my little family. But we are strong and we will survive! Hey hey!

Sarah says:
What are our faces saying today? Hmm. Hard one. Don’t read too much into them. We are always looking for new faces to keep Face The Day Fresh. We are amazed we find new ones quite often. Face The Day has nearly existed for 2 years!!! That’s a lot of days to offer up a new face. So today we offer you these new faces. We hope you enjoy them.

As for the letter you see below – well – it’s from my daughter to me from yesterday. It warms my heart. She’s been having some eating issues lately so we have a system of happy and sad faces that go on her school lunch menu. If she eats her meal well, she gets a smiley face. If not, it’s a sad one. If she gets 10 sad ones before the end of the year then she’ll have to bring sandwiches for lunch next year. She really doesn’t want to do that because the sandwich kids don’t get to eat in the cafeteria with the other kids who order warm meals. She wants to be with her friends at lunch and she doesn’t like change at all! So – anyway – she stays at school till 6pm everyday and I give her a box with snacks. Yesterday I gave her baby carrot sticks. She generally likes them but apparently the ones I gave her tasted and smelled very bad. She felt so guilty for not eating them and she was so afraid she’d get a sad face for that. She decided to write me a letter explaining why she didn’t eat her carrots. She is learning to write in Dutch now and does pretty well. Her letter to me below is in English – English as she hears it in her little 8-year-old head. Notice “carrots” is spelled “karets”. Notice “sorry” is spelled “sory”. Notice “please” is spelled “plees”. Notice “face” is spelled “fase”. Notice “smiley” is spelled “smilie”. Notice “instead” is spelled “insted” And notice “were” is spelled “wor”.

Makes you wonder how anyone ever learns how to spell in English. English spelling makes no sense at all! In fact, my daughters instincts are pretty right on! I just wonder why we changed the language into this strangely spelled one with no good explanations for why we spell things the way we do. In Dutch a word is generally spelled exactly as it sounds. In English we have “their”, “there” and “peas” and “bees” and “bird” and “turd” and “one” and “won”. What a confusing mess!

So I am very proud of my daughter for trying her best in English. It’s a great start! One of these days I’m going to have to start teaching her the crazy English spelling rules! I had better study them myself first as I suck at spelling! So many English speakers do… our language is bizarre!

No comments: