Sunday, April 15, 2007

Sunday 15 April 2007: Sarah escapes into the forest in Bellegem, wants you to meet Oscar Charles Dionisio Smith and reflects on past car rides...



Heidi says: Today we celebrated Wout his birthday. On the picture with Wout (left) and Alexander (right) you can see that we are having fun! Right then, we were talking about people who fall and how funny that is. It was a great day!



Sarah says:
I finally saw the new home of my friend AVDG in Bellegem and while there took a walk in the woods and was surrounded by tall trees and beautiful flowers. Of course I stopped and smelled the flowers. That's what this weekend has been all about. Lovely weather, nature, sunshine, happy time (as Borat would say)! I couldn't feel more relaxed. The worst thing and only bad thing about this weekend was watching the last DVD of Season 1 Battlestar Galactica and thinking there were 4 episodes to go and then realizing at the end of the one we watched that it was the only one on the disc and the last one of that season! Now all we can do is wait and wonder until we get season 2!




Sarah continues: And the BEST thing about this weekend was of course the birth of Oscar Charles Dionisio Smith to Face The Day google hits Erika Dionisio and Neil Smith. The above photo is the only one I have received so far (from Mona's cell phone, thanks!)! You can see Erika more than you can see Oscar. I'm going mad over here waiting for a photo. I haven't even gotten to speak to Erika on the phone yet!!! But she looks great in the photo with babe in arms. I can't wait to meet that little baby in October when I go to New York for Erika and Neil's wedding!




And of course it is Sunday so it is fave-Post-Secret-entry-of-the-week time. I chose the below one about sometimes wanting to jump out of the car and run as far as you can away from the people in the car with you. Well, there weren't too many entries this week that hit home with me but this one sure did - in terms of the past - in terms of childhood memories. As a kid, some of my worst moments and therefore memories took place in cars. There are probably few things worse than being trapped in the back of a car while the two people in the front seats are fighting and fighting... I am sure lots of kids from divorced parents can relate to that feeling all too well. Your world caves in at those moments. You fill up with fear. You feel like your protectors are not going to be there for you - that at any moment everything will all fall apart and it will feel like a crash. You find your escape mechanisms. You pretend to sleep but still listen because you can't turn it off. Or you learn how to disassociate and go to some other realm. Or you cry silently. Or you burn and rage inside and want to scream. Or you shout something out and get shouted at back. However you look at it, it's a horrid trap that kids go through. Helpless at those moments and witnesses of bad, adult behavior. Some of my earliest memories are about this sort of situation. The past is the past and bygones are bygones but the Post Secret card brought some of those memories back. Jeez - if my husband and I even dare to fight in front of our kid, which is very rarely because we save our big blow-ups for the second she steps out of the house it seems, she calls us on it and tells us to stop because she is a kid and doesn't want to hear us because it scares her, etcetera... She's right... but with that said, we parents are not perfect and always being your best self for your kids is very difficult because each one of us is flawed of course...my parents were and so am I. But one mistake I did try to learn from was the car fights. I really try to guard my kid from witnessing those because of how badly they used to make me feel...

No comments: