Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sunday 11 March 2007: By chance, Heidi and Sarah run into each other today and get a quick shot after Sarah has a book day! HAPPY BABY SHOWER E-ROCKER


Sarah says:
What a weekend! It's been non-stop really. Not too physically demanding luckily because I still have to be in semi-rest mode. Part-time rest and part-time semi-normal life. But this weekend was packed with people, games, books and fun. I didn't expect to see Heidi at all this weekend but just accidentally and happily ran into her in Kortrijk so we snapped the quick outdoor action shot above as we were two ships passing in the night so-to-speak.

Just before I ran into Heidi, I had been to see the above very well-known Belgian children's book writer Marc De Bel with my daughter and husband at the Buda-eiland jeugdboeken feest in Kortrijk. I had to get a photo with him of course because as you know I have fun getting photos of myself for Face The Day with whatever famous people I happen to see - even though half the time I don't know who they are here in Belgium. Generally my husband or whomever says "go get a photo with that person - he's famous in Belgium" - so I take my orders and do it! Everyone is always really friendly about it. I play the unknowing American girl and just try to flatter the people! Today I just asked for a photo. Marc De Bel was busy. I didn't want to disturb him. He did a great job telling the very large audience of parents and children a story of his. It was very captivating. In fact, the whole day was! We began at 9am by going to Buda-eiland to see the Al Gore film An Inconvenient Truth while our kid saw a kid's film in another theater. Before that we had breakfast at the cinema. The film was good to see. Nothing we didn't know already but thought-provoking nonetheless and everyone should see it if you ask me. It just makes you stop and think about what you yourself might be able to do as a citizen of the world to make the world's climate changes less severe and dangerous. I can argue both sides of the argument and understand where the skeptics come from sometimes. But in the end, the proof is there and the earth is heating up. Maybe that is natural and bound to happen no matter what we do and the greater plan of the earth is to wipe us out and start over again as has happened to many species already. Maybe it's really out of our control. But I doubt it. We consume way too much of everything and abuse our resources no doubt. Why not go to the Climate Crisis website as the film suggests and see what steps you can take to make even just a small difference. We all should cut back a little on what we can. It'll be better for the earth and better for each of us.

I chose the below Post Secret entry about severe weather this week in honor of seeing the movie today and because I know many weather-obsessed people who might feel the same way the person who wrote the below postcard does! I have never been that aware of the weather. I certainly don't follow the weather news each day. I just sort of go with the flow. I mean I live in Belgium where the weather is 1 of three things: rainy and/or grey mostly, too warm two weeks in the year and perfect for about 10 scattered days a year. There are people in my life, however, who check the weather hourly and keep track of of every severe weather pattern out there! I find that amusing.

After seeing the movie, we went to see the Belgian children's book writer Geert de Kockere. I really enjoyed his readings and performance. After that we saw Sandra Van Kemzeke perform a lovely story. Then it was Marc De Bel, which was followed by a workshop with children's book illustrator Isabelle Vandenabeele. I was really happy about today because I could understand all of the Dutch all day long! It's probably because I have the Dutch level of a 10 year old - but that's okay with me. It's great to be able to follow along and to get the jokes. It made me feel good and not like the usual idiot I feel like in Dutch all the time.

Now I am sitting at my computer after a fabulous fun-filled weekend doing this and waiting for my friend Mona to Skype me from Face The Day google hit - Erika Dionisio's baby shower, which is happening right now at Mona's house! I wish I could be there!! My three lovely golden friends from "home" are all there - Mona, Erika and Rachel. So we are going to try to webcam me into the party for a little while. I was too late in sending my baby shower gifts to Erika so I sent the below photo to Mona to print out and give to her. I am so happy for Erika. I hope she has a great party today and has a good birth experience! I am so glad she's going to soon get to be filled with that amazing love-like-no-other. She deserves all that good love! I can't wait to meet Oscar and to see how he melts his mother's heart! I can't wait till I am in New York in October and can see Erika and Oscar!! And Mona. And Rachel and her kids. I wish there was more time and less distance to get to know the kids of my friends from back home. Right now I am just glad that I can go to the baby shower by webcam at least. Thank the lawd for the internet!

No comments: