Thursday, December 28, 2006

Wednesday 28 December 2006: Sarah doesn't have a blood clot in her leg which is good and Heidi visits Nancy

Sarah says:
So I went to the hospital to have my leg checked out for a blood clot and I'm happy o say they didn't find any. They do an echograph of the leg area - like they do when you are pregnant(on your belly) and they see how the blood is flowing. Mine is flowing fine, thank you! However, the bad news is that I just have to ride this leg pain out. It's not vascular pain but apparently nerve (neuro) pain. That can happen after operations - especially operations involving the spine or any joints really. Things get moved around - in this case my spine was pushed up higher - and nerves shift and get exposed. Apparently after surgery like this there is something like humidity around the joints. Until that all goes away and everything heals, here can be nerve pain. The legs are so connected to the spine that it makes sense that back operations can lead to leg pain too. I just hope it goes away soon. It keeps me up at night and it bothers me all day! It's like a huge headache that pulses in the leg. I am still wearing the socks they made me wear after the operation (white ones in above photo) because they are supposed to prevent swelling and clotting. They keep the legs tight. They itch though. I had better wash them as well today come to think of it!
Here you can also see that my stitches were taken out yesterday. That's my yucky scar there! It's still healing. The side with the bandage is still slightly open. The whole thing stings. The good news is that I can take my first shower in two weeks tomorrow!

No comments: