Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thursday 28 May 2009: Sarah has a useless day... but is still loving the great escape of reading and is happily running through books!

Sarah says:
Ughhhh... One of those days where you could have just slept right through it and not have missed anything at all.... Useless. Where in all this nothingness does one find her self worth again? Yuck!
I have already read a few of the letters in the above book I am now going to start reading from the start. It's called Posterity and it is a collection of letters written my known Americans to their children. Musicians, politicians, you name it - their letters are in there. It was given to me long ago and I have only dabbled in it till now. I'll read it from front to back now. It's a good interlude between longer novels I have read and will read.

I just finished the collection of short stories above called Midnight All Day by Haif Kureishi. I had finished a book by him and thought I'd read on in his short story book. I'm not sure if that was a wise choice. Too many of the same topics and characters showing up in all the stories. I like his writing a lot now but think I need to space out reading his books because they do seem to cover a lot of the same stuff over and over again. There was this great quote in one of the stories in the book:

"From a certain point of view the world was ashes. You could also convert
it to dust by burning away all hope, appetite, desire. But to live was, in some
sense, to believe in future. You couldn’t keep returning to the same dirty
place."
-H.K.

And then there is this even better quote from the series Deadwood that I just started watching and am totally loving:

"Some goddamn point a man's due to stop arguing with his-self and feeling twice the goddamn fool he knows he is 'cause he can't be something he tries to be every goddamn day without once getting to dinnertime and ****ing it up. I don't want to fight it anymore, understand me Charlie? And I don't want you pissing in my ear about it. Can you let me go to hell the way I want to?" - Wild B.H. from Deadwood


No comments: