Thursday, May 31, 2007

Thursday 31 May 2007:Sarah starts her birthday whoring early this year – two days before the real thing - as Heidi turns into a freaky,frozen robot …

Heidi says:
I did a great deal on diapers today! I bought two packs of 87 pieces and got one extra pack for free!!! Isn't that oh so very interesting??? :))

Sarah says:
So yeah I know my 36th birthday isn’t today but in two days on the 2nd of June. But I got a nice card already for my birthday in the post and I liked it so much because it reminded me just how much I love my daughter and can’t wait to see who she grows up to be – but how I also want to freeze every moment in time and keep her just as she is… The card I got, which you can see below, well, it’s just a nice sentiment – though also a little sad. I think it’s something only a parent can feel and say to a kid. It’s that eternal bond you have with the only people who knew you back when you were little and growing and dreaming. I have no idea what parents remember about their kids as little kids once those kids aren’t little kids anymore. I imagine you forget a lot. I think that’s sad but a bit normal. We all search so much for our identity. We want to know why we are who we are. I look at my 8 year old kid and I wonder not only who she will be later – but also who the hell I was at her age! I don’t have a lot of strong memories from that time. I remember a bunch of bad stuff here and there. I remember 9 well because that’s when my house burnt down. But 8! Who was I at 8 – who was I at the age of this little dreamy girl in the photo on the card? Did I really want to grow up and become something special then? Do kids even think about that? I don’t remember!!! My kid has little dreams – but they change everyday! She seems like a really happy and very open and enthusiastic person – but I also see this sort of dark intensity in her. This brooding quality in her. An inability to let things go in her. An incredible and seemingly early sense for justice. An anger when she is crossed or feels something is unfair. Was I like her? Was I too damaged by age 8 from divorce and chaos and other things to have sweet dreams? I wish I could remember. I remember my cat Tommy well. I loved my cat more than anything else in the world. That I remember like yesterday. At around age 10 or maybe earlier, I remember I started locking him in the large bottom drawer of my dresser so that he couldn’t leave/abandon me while I was at school. I hardly remember more than that. I wish I could. This card made me reflect… On the other hand it doesn’t really matter, does it. I am about to be come 36 (in two days on June 2nd - wink, wink) and you know what, I have grown up and become something special – regardless of everything. The past is the past. Now is wonderful. Now is what matters today. Today anyway!

No comments: