Thursday, February 01, 2007

Thursday 01 February 2007: Heidi, Sarah and YMA have a very relaxing day...



YMA IS THE FACE THE DAY STAR TODAY BECAUSE SHE IS TOO CUTE, ATE UP ALL HER FRUIT AND GAVE HER MOM A VERY PLEASANT AND RESTFUL SMILEY DAY!!!!

Sarah says:
Yma is the star today because she's so darn adorable! We were all just chilling today. My mom cooked us a great lunch and there was no stress at all today for anyone. YMA ate a lot of apple/banana/ betterfood cookie, orange mush. I saw it with my own eyes! She was loving all those new tastes! Go YMA!
This morning I was checking out the last.fm music listening site in more detail after finding so many music samples there yesterday. I don't know who told me about this great site! Was it Nico? Tom? Mona? Anyway, you can find so much good stuff and listen to it. It's so exciting to have all this music a few clicks away! Check it out!!!
Tomorrow I go to the back doctor in Roeselare for an after operation check up. I have a lot of questions for him such as: Why does my hip hurt???? My legs? Nothing serious just annoying!
My mom leaves here on Sunday - so soon. Too soon! I'm going to miss her! She's been very good company. It will be lonely here without her. It really will! I hate these last days to be honest when you can just feel departure in the air. It creates a sort of dark feeling. Small sadness. My kid will be so sad to say goodbye to her. That's what's most difficult for me to be honest. I like getting to see my daughter with her family and my friends from The States. It is so important to me that she has relationships with all these people so far away most of the time. It's not a bad thing that at such a young age she's already an expert in goodbyes. She'll be strong for it for sure. But I know that sort of existential dip that comes with many goodbyes. Thankfully it is temporary but nonetheless, I know it well and I have seen it a few times in my daughter's eyes, heart and soul. That is the hardest thing about my living here. I don't realize it most of the time - only when goodbyes are happening - but it's not the greatest feeling in the world. Oh well - the nice thing is the lovely times we all have together and the fact that there will be many more times like these in the future! For example, my dad and my youngest brother will be here mid-February for a short but sweet visit! We'll set our hearts and heads on that and my daughter and I will be just fine! And then not so far after in June and July my brother NSM and his wife JO will visit us again! And in June we'll get to go to Scotland for ASG's wedding where maybe just maybe we'll also get to see our dear buddy Elf-Boy Fej! And then in October I'll get to go to Face The Day google hit Erika Dionisio's wedding where I'll meet her baby and see lots of old friends - so that will be fantastic! And then it will almost be Christmas time again and my mom will be back here again. So you see, all is well and there are such fabulous times to look forward to! Plus, life goes on here and I am constantly surrounded by people who mean the world to me in Belgium itself! See!!! I am an expert in talking myself out of the dark feeling of departures!!!

And though it's rare for me to bad-mouth Belgium because you all know I love it here, this sort of stuff is a little too much to take and reminds me how far Belgium still has to go in terms of tolerance and race-relations and opening itself up to change... Here's the link to an article about some Belgians refusing to be married by a black man - simply because he is black!

On the other hand, here is a link to an article that makes me proud of Belgians! Belgians use more than two times less toilet paper than Americans! The funny thing is that it's only because there aren't as many types of two-ply toilet papers for sale in Belgium as there are in The States. If Belgians used two-ply toilet paper then it would be about the same usage actually. Slowly but (or shall I say butt) surely, however, as new brands of TP are introduced here, we Belgians will be as bad consumers as the Americans!

Heidi says: I HAD A GREAT DAY TODAY!!! Thanks to Sarah and her lovely mom. They cooked for me this delicious meal and they kept little Yma busy, so that she didn't cry the whole two hours and a half I was there! I tell you, it was a good day. Thank you so much, Judy and Sarah!

No comments: